Sunday, August 23, 2015

A few words about Flemish technique

A few words about Flemish technique I use for my paintings.
Flemish Technique means different things to different artists and art teachers.
I can only describe how I worked based on what I read and was shown by other artists.
I have dedicated most of my time to studying the 7 layer techniques of  Flemish Masters
(Rubens, Jacob Jordaens,Van Duke, Caspar de,Snyders and others).
Before each new layer the canvas (ideally dried during 1 week)
is carefully wiped with a half of an onion (in order to prepare the dried surface to absorb better)
and then with linseed oil. The technique involves many steps.
It is a complex process.
Pencil or charcoal drawing, ink pen drawing.
1. Imprimatura
2. First umber under painting
3. Second umber underpainting
4. Monochromatic underpainting
5.6. First and second color layers
7. The brightest parts of the image
Using media: Dammar varnish, linseed oil, turpentine or Maroger.
It's my preferred method to create my floral, still life and portrait paintings.
 Some slight variations to the technique are used for the landscape.                                                                                                   Elena Vacha 




References
1. Methods and Materials of the Painting of the Great Schools and their Masters: Two Volumes Bound as One by Sir Charles Lock Eastlake. Dover Publications 2002. Reprint of classic 1847 text.
2. The Flemish method by David Rouke. All the Strange Hours. Comments equally helpful.
3. Oil Paintings by Alexei Antonova. Antonovart. Contemporary painter who uses a similar approach.
4. Flemish art. Art History Spot. Some background to the Flemish masterpieces.